Sunday, September 05, 2004

It was the wizard at 3 o'clock in the billard room with the book*

* Cludeo reference. I do hope you Americans know what I'm talking about.


It's been a while since I was really absorbed in a book. I'm usually quite good at reading 4 or 5 at once and putting them down to do the other things in life - like working, eating, walking around...blogging.

I have now find myself permanently glued to a book for days. I have bruises all over my legs from walking into furniture. M has quit trying to talk to me when I'm in my trance and I have found ingenious methods of preparing food whilst reading and flipping pages. Blogging whilst reading, however, has been outside the range of my skills - so I'll have to put something meaningful up tomorrow lest you all depart for greener, smarter, less distracted pastures.

So what's had my attention for days now? Not one book but four...JK Rowling's Harry Potter series.

I hadn't really been interested when this whole craze started. I suppose I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to popular culture, but you'll have to excuse me if I ignore the recommendations of a populace that regularly gives Big Brother high ratings.

Some months ago I was walking along a street and spotted something white and mangled-looking on the pavement. Picking it up, I realised that it was the second book in the Harry Potter series - albeit coverless and more than a little trodden-on.

Looking up and down the street to ascertain whether the (obvously callous) owner was around, I decided that I couldn't just leave it there. I have a soft spot for books so I dusted it off and took it home, dried it off, placed it in the Fantasy section of my bookshelf (Yes, it's sectioned into genres. Yes, I realise what this says about me. No, I don't care.)

Wanting to read something completely untaxing a couple of weeks ago, my eye alighted on this shabby little book.

I picked it up...started reading...it got dark all of a sudden and I realised that I had read for hours, that I hadn't made dinner or gone for my run and that my left foot was quite decidedly asleep.

Since then, I had been bursting to go out and get the rest of the series...I purchased numbers 1, 3 and 4 and am now firmly entrenched in the storyline of 4, to the detriment of my health, wealth and marriage - but hey, we're talking about Harry Potter here people, not just any random, common Muggle.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in the middle of the Quidditch World Cup.

M

Please only use comment system below

|

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com