Monday, July 12, 2004

It’s the SRCL of life…

Andy shackled me in chains of words and sent me here kicking and screaming against my will. Me? Succumb to the lure of a quiz about personality? Pah. Shackled I was, I say.

Anyhow, after a little time thinking, checking weensy boxes as far away from the ‘I’m a bunny-loving fluff-brain’ option as possible, I was officially told that:

“You are an SRCL--Sober Rational Constructive Leader. This makes you an Ayn Rand ideal. Taggart? Roark? Galt? You are all of these. You were born to lead. You may not be particularly exciting, but you have a strange charisma--born of intellect and personal drive--that people begin to notice when they have been around you a while. You don't like to compromise, but you recognize when you have to.

You care absolutely nothing what other people think, and this somehow attracts people to you. Treat them well, use them wisely, and ascend to your rightful rank.”

Ooooh, flattering but very, very confusing.

“You don't like to compromise, but you recognize when you have to.”
Now, I know my copies of Rand’s fiction look like they’ve had hordes of schoolchildren using them as footballs, but I’m pretty sure no pages are missing. Especially pages that might say something like:

“Roark sat back, studying his client and the request put before him. He knew he desperately needed work, the meagre savings he had wouldn’t last him much longer.

“Ahhhh, what the hell.” He said. “You want turrets? I’ll give you freakin’ minarets if you want them. Cherubs? Plaster fruit in the corners? I can make your house look like the Natural History Museum in London if you want me to.”

His hand reached out and he started to sketch. The building rose to grandiose proportions, thrusting engorged spires into the clear sky. Delicate lace, to be fashioned out of tons of concrete, was slung between columns supporting nothing.”
The reason that sounds so absurd is that Roark didn't compromise. Period. Fin. That was the whole point behind his character - to show that it was possible, dammit.

And then there’s:

“You care absolutely nothing what other people think, and this somehow attracts people to you.”
…yeah, when they’re not busy running the hell in the other direction. The annoy-to-amuse ratio is rather high. You don’t exactly get a fan club when you point out that the Emperor has a furry butt.

“Treat them well, use them wisely, and ascend to your rightful rank.”
Again, something that must have been ripped out of my copies of Rand’s fiction. Use people – so THAT’s the ticket. Bloomin’ eck, so far I’ve been trying desperately to appeal to other’s reason and all this time the only thing I really needed was a cattle prod.


Please only use comment system below

|

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com